Monday, March 9, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire.

So, I wrote this review for Mibba, but I think I'll post it here anyways.
For a very long time, Americans have thought that they understood India through their image of the bright, vibrant colors and outrageous dance sequences of Bollywood, and through the glimpses of it on TV. But few ever really understand the true essence and feel of the real India. My father grew up in India, and though he wasn’t a slumdog, he knew that the flashy Bollywood scenes were just a part of the vast culture of that flavorful country. When I went to see Slumdog Millionaire for the first time a few weeks ago, truthfully, I didn’t know what to expect. I had only traveled to India when I was very little, only a few months old, so even I didn’t fully understand the country of my heritage.
Well, I was completely blown away. The entire movies has you gripping the arm rests, and practically falling out of your seat. Danny Boyle captured the true India, from the slums of Mumbi, to the riches of the Taj Mahal.
This movie deserved every award it won at the Oscars, including best Motion Picture. It is a masterpiece. Every single camera angel in the entire film took a lot of artistic thought. The colors, the lighting, everything was made to perfection, and this movie was only made on 12,000,000 Dollars. Now this may seem like a lot, but when you compare it with how much money other movies take to make, it’s nothing.
In this movie you follow the 18 year old Protagonist, Jamal Malik from the time he was just a small slum from the worst poverty in Mumbi, to where he’s sitting in a chair in front of millions of viewers, about to win 20,000,000 Rupees.
In the beginning, he’s being tortured by the police because they’re convinced that he cheated. Then, after finally deciding to talk, he explains how each question was lined up like it was meant to be, and he just happened to know every single answer. He explains the life of him and his older brother Salim, and the love of his life, Latika.
A) He cheated,B) He's lucky, C) He's a genius, D) It is written.

No comments:

Post a Comment